This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrongfull discharge in Illinois Illinois

I fell at my home and was severly injured (fractured back, skull & blood on the brain). I waited a couple days before going to the hospital, where they immediately placed me in ICU. My employer was called every day I was absent. The last ime I called from the hospital the employer fired me.
    Is this legal in Illinois? Do I have any recourse at all?
    Thank you.

Maybe.

How many employees does the employer have?
    How long have you worked for this employer?
    In the last 12 months, did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours?
    How much time, total, did you miss?
    Did your employer know WHY you were absent?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

How many employees does the employer have?
      How long have you worked for this employer?
      In the last 12 months, did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours?
      How much time, total, did you miss?
      Did your employer know WHY you were absent?

4 employees
      1 month and a 1/2
      no
      on the fourth day they fired me
      yes, i made it very clear in detail how the accident happened and all the injuries i had

Comment

You have not worked for the employer long enough to have any protected medical leave even if the employer were large enough to be subject to FMLA, which they are not. Although IL has a state version that is slightly more generous, neither you nor the employer qualifies for that either.

That being the case, the termination was legal.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thank you for your resonse. I was afraid of this and none of this is about the money it is the principle of the matter that someone is that heartless and scummy to do something so low. I actually almost died in this accident and I can't comprehend how someone can do this. But in any event I thank you for your time. Have a nice day.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X