This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits from both Workers Copm And Unemplyment Illinois

During a late December snow fall in 08' I slipped and fell while leaving work due to falility personnel not clearing up the snow and salting the main entrance. I injured my hand and shoulder and was not able to perform my work duties. Long story short, a workers clain was submited and approved, but right after approval, i was laid off due to the poor economy. i proceeded to file for unemplyment benefits and got approved just recently. I have now received checks from both Workers comp and unemployment. although i am still under therapy, i personally never filed a workers comp claim, so my question is....should i be cashing in on both checks???? any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If you're not "able, ready and willing" to work, collecting UI benefits is fraud. Call the state and find out how to return the UI funds. When you are released for work, you can file again.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Do you mean if you are "able" but not willing to work and collecting UI (Assuming it refers to unemployment benefits) it is a fraud????
      i have not cashed in on any of the checks...i'm asking, since i was laid off and now unemployed should i cash in on both checks.....unemployment & workers comp??? or should i cancel unemployment and cash in on workers comp???? or vice versa????

Comment

If you're not ready, willing & able to work (able to accept work), then you cannot collect UI benefits. When you are able to work & no longer getting WC benefits, then you can file for UI benefits since you should then be able to accept work (well enough to accept work).
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

i'm still confused. i have never been injured at work and never gotten laid off.
          when the accident happened, which impeded me from performing my daily duties at work, and inmediately after the initial clinic visit, i received a letter from my employer's (now exemployer) insurance stating that they had received the workers comp. claim. Mind you i did not, personally, filled out any paper work othar than the clinics admittance form. two weeks after the accident and actively working, on light duty, i was laid off. My inmediate boss told me to go and file for umemployment benefits. i did, but during the two week period for approval, i then received two checks from work's insurance for workers comp. a week after these, i then received the first check from unemployment. What is the correct and honest thing to do here???? i still don't have full strenght of both my hand and shoulder...i'm still going to therepy.....should i cash in on both checks from unemployment and worksers comp.????

Comment

Please answer the following questions yes or no.

1.) Are you able to work? Not, were you able to work before, but right now, today, are you able to work?

2.) Are you actively looking for work?

3.) If someone offered you a job that would start tomorrow, would you be medically able to accept it?

The answers to these questions is needed before we can answer yours.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

1.) Are you able to work? Not, were you able to work before, but right now, today, are you able to work? NO.

2.) Are you actively looking for work? NO.

3.) If someone offered you a job that would start tomorrow, would you be medically able to accept it? NO.

Comment

Then the correct and honest thing to do is contact the UI office and tell them that. You are not eligible to collect UI.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

so i should cash in on the workers comp checks and return and cancel UI???

Comment

Ask the UI office what you should do with the checks.

Comment

truth be told....the individual that attended me at the unemployment office told me not to say anything about receiving workers comp checks. That is why i searched and joined this group for some sound and honest advise.
                      Thanks a real lot...it is much appreciated.

Comment

That would have been fraud to keep & cash both UI & WC checks. We're glad you posted & asked so you can do the right thing.
                        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X