This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Schedule Illinois

My employer has been looking to eliminate OT by asking it's employees to rework their normal workdays to keep us at 40 hrs. For example, if I needed to work 14 hours on Tuesday I might be asked to start my days Thurs and Fri at 11:00am and finish at 5:00pm (our normal day is 8-5). I actually don't have a problem with doing this, but I'm curious as to how/when an employer should set an employee's work day. I've been working at this company for more than 10 years and my day has always been 8am to 5pm M-F. Is my employer allowed to tell me on Friday that next week, my hours for Mon, Tues, and Wed are going to be 8-10am then 12-2pm then 5-7pm and then 9-11pm? I know that sounds ridiculous but I just wanted to use an extreme example to get my point across. Is there anything that restricts an employer from this kind of scheduling? Also, is an employer required to set an employee's work schedule for the following week a set amount of time prior to that week, or could it be changed daily. Again, using an extreme example, could my employer tell me that on Monday that I work 8-5, then on Tuesday at 8am tell me my day starts a 2pm and ends at 10pm and that I should show up for work on Wednesday at 6am for 4 hours then be back to work at noon to finish my day? Is an employer required to give an employee a minimum amount of notice before changing a workday that will typically be 8-5 most of the time? Thanks in advance for any info

Is there anything that restricts an employer from this kind of scheduling?

No, it is quite legal. Nothing in the law requires an employer to allow you to go over 40 hours.

Also, is an employer required to set an employee's work schedule for the following week a set amount of time prior to that week, or could it be changed daily.

It can be changed as often as the employer wants to. There is no law requiring any particular about of notice for a schedule.

Again, using an extreme example, could my employer tell me that on Monday that I work 8-5, then on Tuesday at 8am tell me my day starts a 2pm and ends at 10pm and that I should show up for work on Wednesday at 6am for 4 hours then be back to work at noon to finish my day?

Yes.

Is an employer required to give an employee a minimum amount of notice before changing a workday that will typically be 8-5 most of the time?

No.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Just as I suspected, they've got us by the balls.

Comment

I'm afraid so unless you would have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X