X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Searches at company Illinois

Hello,
    I have just been giving a new policy book at work and it says that my
    employeer has the right to search all personal possessions.
    Further they state any refusal can be grounds for termination.
    Do they not need a search warrant to search my wallet or purse?
    Can they make me take off coat?
    This is a small family owned bussiness.
    Please inform me.
    Thanks

This is not my state and not my area of expertise, but the short answer is that this policy is probably legal. Termination is mostly Employment-At-Will, meaning that terminations tend to be legal unless a specific law is being violated. It is possible that Illinois has a specific law banning this practice, but if I could make a bet, I would bet that based on what you have said that the proposed action is legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I think it would depend on the type of business. for example many retialers require employees ot open purses, bags etc when they exit store. I am certain other types of business might do the same for various reasons.
      http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Yes, I would say it is legal. In privacy court cases the courts have sided heavily with the employer in that they have the right "to keep tabs" on their employees & examine their belongings.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Have they done any of this yet? Why do you think there is such a policy?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

employeese search

They have not begun this yet.
            It's almost like a pick and choose situation.
            I was on medical leave and came back to be handed this new policy.

Comment

Originally posted by lilapps View Post
              It's almost like a pick and choose situation.

Unless they "pick and choose" solely based on a protected characteristic, such as race, age, gender, etc. I don't see any legal problem with this policy on its face.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X