This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salaried management in florida

I was recently switched from hourly plus commission to salary. I am now making only about $2000.00 more a year however it is a stable pay every two weeks rather than the ups and downs of commission. I was told that I was required to work a minimum of 80 hours each pay period with no overtime/comp time for anything over the 80. Fine so far. If I did go below 80 then I had to use sick or vacation time. Still fine. I was also told that I was not required to punch in or out.
    Here's my problem. On the current pay period I was out 3 days for illness so I came in early, worked late and skipped lunches during the remaining 7 days to accumulate 80 hours. My employer just ripped up my time card(I still punch in and out for personal reasons) and told me that he didn't care that I still accumulated 80 hours and was going to take away 24 hours of sick pay to make up for the 3 days I was out. This just does not seem right to me. Help.

Sick Time

Unfortunately, your boss is within his authority.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Salaried is merely a pay method - it has no legal standing. I'm going to assume you are in an exempt position as defined in the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Your employer is perfectly free to debit your sick days bank when you are out absent due to illness, regardless of whether you work extra hours to catch up after you are well. As an exempt employee, you get paid to get the job done.

I suggest you quit punching in and out. It is obviously annoying your boss who may feel you are "thinking" like an hourly paid employee - and it appears you are since you thought that "making up the time" was the way to go about keeping your paid sick days benefit intact.

Comment

salaried employee

I was hired as a salaried employee and was told I was expected to work 40-50 hours per week but closer to 50 was expected. I am still required to clock in and out however. My question is that I was never given an offer of employment so I don't truly understand what my "status" is and when they have to pay me/don't have to pay me.

Comment

Laura, I answered your questions in your other thread. It's only necessary to post once.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thanks

I know, this one was posted first, I wasn't sure how you actually posted a message then figured it out!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X