This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Insurance for 10 days Florida

Our property will be closed for 10 days to do maintenance, we do this every year. Some employees work during that time (such as the maintenance dept) but most of the employees do not work since we are not open for business. We do have an PTO plan and full time employees are given PTO to use for sick/holiday/vacation.

Some employees have already used up their PTO prior to the 10days we are closed; Can they file for unemployment for those 10 days, since technically they are "ready and able" to work? What about people who still have enough PTO to cover the vacation, can they file for unemployment rather than use their PTO? Thanks in advance.

You can require that the employees who won't be working use all PTO they have available, and I recommend it. After that (or if they don't have any PTO left), they can file for UI; I couldn't find any reference to a one-week waiting period in Florida on their website, but there might be one.

Are any of these exempt employees? Is this 10 working days? If so, do the weeks correspond with your workweek definition?

I know it doesn't seem quite fair that those who have saved their PTO may not receive UI. If I may make a suggestion for the future? Require employees to not take PTO below the 80 hours; you can even limit the employees who don't work during that period to this rule, and not the ones who will be working (although you'll hear "unfair" coming out of the woodwork). Does this have to be done in a two-week block?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Some will be exempt employees, although they will be working part of the time. The exempt employees (after a brief glance) seem to have enough PTO to cover the remainder of the weeks. ie, they will work 2 days and use pto to bring them up to their salary level. (I hope thats right!)

Usually we are open for business 7 days/week with limited exceptions (Christmas and Thanksgiving). This 10 day period does not correspond with our regular work week (sat-fri), but rather goes from mon-the following weds. Historically august is our slowest month and due to the type of work it must be done at once. Things are torn up and then redone... so it is not feasible to do the maintenance on separate weeks.

Comment

Good thing for the exempt employees, because if they work even one day in the workweek, they would have to be paid, whether they have PTO or not.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
          Good thing for the exempt employees, because if they work even one day in the workweek, they would have to be paid, whether they have PTO or not.
          Or one minute for that matter.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            I couldn't find any reference to a one-week waiting period in Florida on their website, but there might be one.
            Per the Fl. UI website under questions & answers:

Waiting Week
            The first week for which you certify is the waiting week. A waiting week is required on all claims and is a week for which you will not be paid.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks, Betty3, why the heck couldn't I find that?

Comment

You're welcome, Patty.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X