This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid for re-training? Florida

All employees in certain departments at our company are required to take and pass certification classes (tips/responsible sale of alcohol). The class is a 5 hour long class with a test and a third party does the certification (upon passing the test). Employees are paid their hourly wage for taking the class. We had a handful of employees that did not pass the test. According to the certification, they can retake the test but they must sit through the class again. I know that for any mandatory training and classes we are required to pay employees, and I assume since we are mandating that they retake the test (or they cannot hold their current job) we have to pay them for the five hours to re-sit in the class. Im not sure if the fact that they messed up and didnt pass the test the first time would allow us to not pay them for the second class?

Who is requiring it, the employer or the state?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The employer. Our corporate risk manager/auditors said we had to do it.

Comment

Then if they flunk it and have to retake it, you have to pay them again, because the employer says it's mandatory. The law doesn't differentiate between "retaking" a class due to flunking it the first time.

How many times are you going to let them flunk it before they don't have a job any more?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agreed. However, if proper advance warning was given (proper being whatever the state says it is), then MW could be paid for those hours.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

We are allowing them one retake.

Comment

You can "allow" anything you want, but you legally must pay for hours worked in this situation. Your decision to "allow" something does not change the legal requirement. Now, if by "allow" you mean fire people who fail that test "x" times, that is legal.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X