Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in schedule = "The reason for quitting was personal"? Florida Florida

Due to a change in schedule, I was unable to continue working at my position at a law firm in Florida.
    Despite wanting to continue working, my employer could not accommodate my schedule b/c it did not fit into their traditional 9 to 5 monday through friday hours even though I was still readily available to work both a full-time or part-time position.

After applying for unemployment, I waited 7 weeks and received two separate letters from the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation explaining why I was being denied unemployment compensation.
    The first stating:
    "The claimant quit to attend school. The reason for quitting was personal."

The second:
    "The claimant is not available for work b/c of restricting availability to part-time work. This claim for unemployment benefits is based on wages earned in full-time employment."

I'm in desperate need of unemployment. I did give my 2 weeks notice, can provide my school schedule and letter of resignation to HR stating my enrollment in school. I'm currently in the process of forming my appeal and am EXTREMELY curious if any suggestions or recommendations are out there.
    Last edited by Inquisitive414; 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM.

You can go ahead & appeal (tell the truth during the appeal) but you generally don't get unemployment ins. when you quit & you have to be available/able to accept work.
    Last edited by Betty3; 02-26-2010, 06:59 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I am both able and ready for work. I was forced to resign b/c my employer couldn't accommodate my schedule change. Even after being enrolled in school for several months I'm completely able to work 40+ hrs a week. It's just impossible to find an employer who can work around my schedule.

Comment

The unemployment ins. decision makers may believe that if you have school you are not available to accept offered work. An employer does not have to work around your schedule.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It is rare to get UI if you quit. On the few occasions that it does happen, with limited exceptions that do not apply here, there has to be a good reason attributable to your employer. This may or may not have been a good reason by UI standards, but it was not attributable to your employer - it was attributable to your school schedule. The law does not require your employer to accomodate your schedule requirement.

I don't see much of a chance for you here.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agree, I don't see much of a chance either but it never hurts to appeal.

Comment

I agree with Betty, I always appeal. This of course makes me a pain in most cases, since I always appeal regardless of what side of the situation I am sitting on.
              Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Well... I'm going to remain as optimistic as possible regarding my appeal. I'm currently in the process of writing it. Any suggestion in terms of wording my argument??? I know sympathy obviously won't work and being as detailed and truthful as possible is best, but are there any key terms or topics I should use/emphasize?

Comment

The only possible chance you have, and it's a VERY long chance, is to emphasize that you were willing and able to work but that the employer had no work available within the limits of your schedule. It's about one chance in a thousand but it's the only chance you've got.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X