This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting back of hours after giving 2 week notice to leave Florida

I work in a daycare and have worked there for 2 years now. I have had many many problems with the director of the daycare. The owner of the daycare lives in Bolovia so getting in touch with her is impossible. Here is my issue:

On Feb. 8, 2010, I gave my director a 2 week notice that I was leaving my position. The letter stated that my last day of employment would be Feb. 19, 2010. My director did not read the letter until Feb. 9, 2010, and once she read it, she approached me and acting very rude, asked me why I was leaving. I told her one reason was because I needed to earn more money hourly. (I have been working there just over 2 years and started at $7.25 and went up to $7.50). She told me that she can not offer me more money. She then said that she will get another teacher in there for me to "train". A new teacher came in the next day, and my director told her to "arrange the room as she wanted, that she is the new teacher and I was there only to make sure the transistation went smoothly." On Feb. 11, 2010, my director approached me and told me that I did not need to report to work the next day, Friday, Feb. 12, 2010 because she wanted to see how the new teacher handled the children. She then told me that the daycare would be closed on Monday, Feb. 15, 2010, for Presidents Day, and that I should call her on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2010 at 11am, to see if she needed me to work that day. I called and she told me that she did not need me for the day. She then called me later in the day and left me a message telling me that she wanted me to come into work on Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2010 at 1pm. I am not sure what for seeing my hours are supposed to be 10:30am to 6:30pm.

I am not sure what she is doing is legal. I was kind enough to give her the 2 week notice and because of that she is mad at me and cutting my hours. I still need to make money to pay my bills...

Thank you for any advice/help you can give.

Also, wanted to ask if this was legal.

1) In 3 months time, I was late twice. The first time, the director wrote me up. I was ok with that, I was late (15 minutes). The 2nd time I was late, she wrote me up, suspended me for 2 days without pay, and changed my hours from 6:30am/3:30pm with an hour lunch to 10:30am/6:30pm with a 1 1/2 hour lunch.

2) When it came to lunch, I was docked atleast 1 hour lunch even if I didn't take a lunch. Most times, I would take my lunch but could not leave the building because I had to watch the children while they were sleeping and set the kitchen up for snack time, all the while, being off the clock for lunch.

3) When my daughter (1) went to the daycare, instead of the daycare paying me over time pay, the director would take some money off of my daycare bill because she did not like paying over time.

Sorry for everything at once, but it is very frustrating...
    Last edited by Rosesayz; 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM. Reason: added questions....

Yes, what she is doing is legal.

With regards to your other questions:

1.) This is legal.

2.) She cannot dock you for lunch unless you are entirely relieved of duty; however, Florida does not enforce this law. You can try filing a complaint with the US DOL or filing a civil suit.

3.) See #2
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X