• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• florida labor?

Florida State Law

We have the following:
    One manager who has done the following:
    "got in the face of at least 2 employees....in a threatening way
    called someone a ****ing ********** (gay employee)
    said to a latino/jehova witness....all of you f*** hispanics and jehova's witnesses stick together...then threw a screw driver and stuck it into the wall about a foot from the employees head
    has said on many occasions that he wishes customers were just dead.
    the list goes on....is there an anonymous way to complain to the ie state of FL, in fear of losing my job?
    furthermore, the company officers will not fire this person, just constant slaps on the wrist for the past 4 or 5 years
    this is causing an extremely uncomfortable situation for many people...but everyone is afraid to speak out...termination
    this person constantly(like on a weekly basis for a few years) lies about others to upper management in order for advancement..Is this libel?

any help? this person has showed times of outrage and i feel in danger. I believe others do to, but won't talk.
    thanks
    Last edited by jmsinnes; 12-11-2004, 05:02 PM. Reason: extra info

Manager

It certainly sounds troublesome. You could file a complaint through the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (www.eeoc.gov). The process will not be confidential in that your employer will learn who filed a complaint. However, retailiation against anyone filing a complaint is strictly prohibited and can often cause the employer even larger problems. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

I have heard from an hr mgr that an anonymous complaint can be filed with the florida labor dept?

Comment

Anonymous

There is a very good chance that an anonymous call won't be pursued. As may be seen in the Florida Labor Code, General Labor Regulations, "448.102 Prohibitions.--An employer may not take any retaliatory personnel action against an employee because the employee has:

(1) Disclosed, or threatened to disclose, to any appropriate governmental agency, under oath, in writing, an activity, policy, or practice of the employer that is in violation of a law, rule, or regulation. However, this subsection does not apply unless the employee has, in writing, brought the activity, policy, or practice to the attention of a supervisor or the employer and has afforded the employer a reasonable opportunity to correct the activity, policy, or practice.

(2) Provided information to, or testified before, any appropriate governmental agency, person, or entity conducting an investigation, hearing, or inquiry into an alleged violation of a law, rule, or regulation by the employer. (3) Objected to, or refused to participate in, any activity, policy, or practice of the employer which is in violation of a law, rule, or regulation. ". You may notice that this statute does not provide for anonymous reports.

As stated earlier, if you file a complaint with the US EEOC, your complaint will not be confidential but you will be protected against retaliation. I don't believe the state of Florida has a specific agency that pursues discriination complaints.
        Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
        www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X