X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW
    replied
    We are getting outside my area of expertise, but company provided medical plans are subject to a federal law called ERISA, which is enforced by federal DOL. While ERISA does not require employers to offer any medical coverage, or any particular medical coverage, it does require both the existence of a formal written benefit plan and requires that the employer follow their plan to the letter. It would likely be a good idea for you to get a copy of this plan and read it (different for each employer).

Not exactly your question, but your state (FL) has very little in the way of state labor law and does not directly enforce what few laws it does have. FL is one of the few states that does not have a DOL, meaning employees tend to have to go to either court or federal DOL to get things done.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    You might also want to remove your e-mail address from your title due to spammers who troll the forum. I removed it & moved your question to its own new thread in the Fl. employment law forum where you had it. If your state is not Fl., please let us know.
    Last edited by Betty3; 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    bmarshall, please start your own thread rather than hijacking one several months old. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• bmarshall
    started a topic question

question

Hi:

I have the same situation working for surgeons for 10+ years as a medical transcriptionist. They informed me they would be making me a contract laborer last Friday. They had me doing other things as well as Transcription, but they are now taking those away from me. With only doing Transcription, I will be doing good to make minimum wage. They still want to pay me my benefits, but I think that is so I cannot get unemployment. If you don't mind me asking, did you find out if you qualify for unemployment? I support my youngest son and mother w/cancer. They didn't give me much notice and now I will not even be able to afford her cancer medicine next month, so I am completely panic stricken. Anyone have any idea what I should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you get time and thanks much for reading.
    Last edited by bmarshall; 08-12-2009, 12:50 AM. Reason: Didn't ask for response to my e-mail
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X