• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    You're very welcome.

This is the info re reporting UI fraud in Fl.:

DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO MAY BE COMMITTING UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION FRAUD?

If so, provide information about the receipt of unemployment by individuals who may not be eligible to the Fl. Agency for Workforce Innovation OR CALL 1-800-342-9909

Leave a comment:

• George100
    replied
    Making sense now

Thanks for reply. This situation does not involve me however, I was denied unemployment, and know of this situation occuring, which obviously would aggrivate me. I am not sure what to do. I have never reported someone to athorities for anything serious. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the helpfull information.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Getting paid under the table & collecting UI: (general information)

Unemployment compensation is paid out of funds which are pooled from federal unemployment and state unemployment taxes and insurance. Cheating, by claiming unemployment compensation when you are working, actually drives up the costs of business for your former employer since the employer’s rates are affected by your claim. Additionally, since unemployment benefits are being strained right now, many states are aggressively pursuing fraud claims. If you are caught accepting unemployment compensation while you are actually working including being paid under the table, you could be prosecuted. Most states will require that you repay the overage plus a substantial fine. You could be required to perform community service, be placed on probation and in some cases, you could be jailed. You could be also disqualified from further benefits for a period of time.

Leave a comment:

• George100
    replied
    helpfull post, thank you

So now, to my understanding, getting payed "under the tabel", while collecting unemployment is fraud.. because the government is not aware of those earnings....

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Fl. - Dept. for Workforce Innovation:

WHAT IS UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION FRAUD?

Unemployment Compensation Fraud – Any false statement or failure to disclose a material fact, knowingly made for the purpose of obtaining or preventing payment of benefits contrary to the provisions of the Unemployment Compensation law. For example, a claimant may intentionally not report any wages that may have earned; may have intentionally under reported earnings; or may have misrepresented the reason for job separation.

Benefit Payment Control associates have the responsibility to establish intent when determining a claim to be fraudulent. Intent is especially important if the case is to be referred for prosecution. Circumstantial evidence may be used in making the decision.

WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES FOR FRAUD?

Unemployment Compensation Fraud is a 3rd degree felony and can result in jail time for the claimant. When a fraud determination is issued, in addition to being required to repay the overpayment, the claimant will be disqualified from receiving future benefits (a disqualification can be imposed on a week by week basis up to a one year period), and have the case referred to the State Attorney for prosecution. State Attorneys may charge the claimant with grand theft or a misdemeanor.

Prosecution and conviction of unemployment compensation fraud may result in the claimant being required to serve jail time, make restitution, be placed on probation or some type of pretrial intervention, and serve community hours.

Leave a comment:

• George100
    started a topic unemployment fraud question Florida

unemployment fraud question Florida

Just for the sake of knowledge, if someone is collecting unemployment and retaines a job, "under the tabel", that person cannot continue to legaly collect unemployment. Also this action would constitute unemployment fraud. Do I understand this correcly?? Also, any Ideas on the legal penalty??
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X