This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Severance Expectation?

What can a laid off employee EXPECT in terms of severance? My wife's company was just purchased and the new owners are laying her off. She's the only one in the whole place. Her dad - the previous owner - did nothing to try to get her any type of severance and no one seems to be looking out for her besides me!!! I'd like to know if there is any legal recourse we would have/expectations for severance for her? The new company hasn't done anything to help and I'm absolutely infuriated at how she's being treated by her own family (covering their own rears), and the new company (who obviously couldn't care less).

Rob

There are only three states where severance is ever required by law. Florida is not one of them. And even in those three states, it is required only in certain mass layoff situations.

Unless she had a bona fide, legally binding contract or CBA guaranteeing severance, in which case she is owed whatever it says she is owed, she has no legal expectation of severance at all.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

That's what I thought.

That's absolutely crazy. Thanks for the answer though. We're screwed bigtime - her last day is Wednesday. She needs to get a job with the Teamsters!

Comment

My husband is a Teamster and his company is undergoing layoffs. The "severence" is anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks pay..and 3 weeks is the max if you've been there over 15 years.

Yes, its better than none, but for the dues he's paid over the years, its pathetic!
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks Morgana - I sympathize with you. 1-3 weeks would be better than what we're getting, but it seems like a lot of people are getting screwed these days.

Comment

It's the current economic conditions. All companies are trying to save money.

Your wife needs to apply for unemployment ins. & look for other employment.

Good luck to her.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X