This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment question Florida

I'm supposed to be getting unemployment. In the meantime, I found a PRN job. It's not good (over 1hour away, pay is not great, and I'm not sure I even have childcare for it --- if I do -- I'm working on it -- I'd only net about 40-50 dollars a day because of the travel, childcare, ect).

Anyway, what are the rules? I'd just as soon work if I can - and besides, it will get my foot in a door. But this 'position' has three weeks for me in July. That's nearly full time, except it isn't. I'm only covering someones vacation. After that it's still prn -- so maybe I'd get a day or two here and there.

I'm confused about the rules - and scared to ask (least they think I'm a scofflaw). I know I'm not supposed to reject work (and honestly I don't want to) -- but I'm scared about losing the unemployment entirely if I work those three weeks. Should I try? Or should I try to just accept a day or two a week (it's prn so it's my choice - and how would they know?).

TIA, jan

You will NOT lose the unemployment if you work the three weeks. You will not claim benefits for that time (unless you earn less than the allowed amount). But when the three weeks is over, you can re-open the claim and no harm done, no questions asked.

It is, in fact, preferred by the UI office that you take such short jobs when available.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Well, I just ran down to unemployment and spoke to a woman (that I didn't consider very informed) -- but she discouraged me. She told me that I'd lose my benefits for that time and there would be an investigation -- and it would be a real pain.

I really would rather work. And I'm assuming that you are right -- and I'd be able to get UI again -- but I'm afraid. You know, there are a whole bunch of reasons that I can do this (it's summer, childcare is near home -- and near the highway). I simply can't do this any old time. And I don't want UI giving me a hard time because, come Sept, I can't just run off in the other direction (from the daughters school) to work. The job is 1.5 hours from her school. I also can't just go there for a day (no drop in care available for her).

I may take it and see. But that woman was awfully discouraging. And it certainly makes one afraid.

Comment

Someone is misunderstanding something somewhere. Of course you would lose benefits for those three weeks; that's a given. They're not going to pay you unemployment benefits while you're working.

But that doesn't mean your benefits go away completely at the end of the three weeks. They do, of course, investigate to ensure that you left the three week job for a reason that does not disqualify you for benefits, but "contract ended" is not a disqualifying reason.

I've done this myself - worked a short contract and then reopened a claim. Granted, I am not in your state, but I've never heard of a state that discouraged an employee who was collecting unemployment from taking a short term job during the course of it. That's why (or at least one of the reasons) that a claim year is longer than the number of weeks you actually have benefits for - so you can do that.

I suggest you call or go down there again - and this time talk to a supervisor.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X