This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of town Florida

My husband works for a tree trimming company that subcontracts from the local electric company. They are talking about sending the guys out of town possibly more than 100 miles away from home. Are they required to pay for food, lodging and transportation, or do we have to provide?

Thank you~

out of town

we currently reside in the state of Fl.

Comment

Florida is not one of the two states that require the employer to reimburse business expenses by law.

Doesn't mean the employer won't do it, though.

Is this a one day shot (wouldn't be fun to drive it in one day, but it could be done)? Or multiple days?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

out of town

we are talking about weeks on end not just one day
        Last edited by kconleymom3; 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

There are some issues regarding how/if the drive time is paid, but no law regarding reimbursements of expenses.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

so lodging and food would come out of pocket? how could they expect fr someone to be able to afford hotel costs for weeks on end AND be able to afford bills at home? My husband and I would definitly be in the red and by the time he got home we would have no food or utilities in the house

Comment

Has the employer SAID they would not pay? Can he get an expense advance?

Comment

Agreed with Patty. Find out exactly what the employer is planning on doing before preparing the tar and feathers.

Past that, you asked what the law was. Not what was "right". Not what in a perfect world should be done. For whatever it is worth, no one on this website actually creates laws. We just report them.

There is no federal law per se that expenses must be reimbursed. There are some "free and clear" language associated with the federal minimum wage law that could be used to argue that the MW rules are being violated if the employee is being forced by the employer to pay expenses that effectively payments below minimum wages.

As stated, there are exactly two states with even minimum expense reimbursement laws, neither of which is FL.
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X