This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired out of state Florida

i was sent out of state to do piece work. the piece work ended up being less then my hourly rate, i called the office and told them (after a week of working) that i was not going to work for my hourly rate. i was then fired and told to leave the hotel and provide my own transportation back to florida.
    is that legal?

Was your termination legal? Yes. Was it illegal for them to not provide you with transportation home? Yes, and considering you quit, it's probably pretty common. You agreed to work for pay based on piece work; if that didn't equate to your previous hourly rate, that was a risk you took.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thanks for the response. as far as the piece work is concerned. in our emp. handbook it states that you will get piecework, unless your hourly rate is higher. and i didnt quit, i told them i wasnt going to work on that particular job anymore unless they fixed the pay.
      thats neither here nor there though. i was mainly interested in recouping the cost of my plane ticket. thanks again for your input.

Comment

Whether or not the employee handbook constitutes a legally binding contractual obligation is iffy at best.

I will tell you that I once managed the payroll operation for an international oil drilling services company. If an employee quit in the middle of his rotation, he was responsible for getting himself home. And that could have been from Indonesia, Australia, Kuwait, etc.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X