This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :::confused about labor law..need some concrete answers::: Florida

In a nutshell: My company told me I wasn't on the schedule because there were no more hours for part-timers. I'd call periodically to see if hours were available and to see if I was on schedule. I was always told the same thing: "no more hours". Finally got in touch with my boss. She says there may be hours available in the second week in January. I call the second week in January. Speak with asst. manager because boss isn't in that day. I ask the same question, "Am I on the schedule?". She says, "No even though it's busy season, there are no hours". So I ask did she know my job status? She says no. I ask for my boss and that's when she tells me she's not in and that she'd have her to call me that day. She never did. I finally get in touch with my boss. I ask her the same thing. She says we need to have a "pow wow", we need to talk. She tells me that my work performance wasn't 100%, that I seemed distracted and that she knew that I had a lot of things going on outside of work. I was confused because it was the first time I heard any of it. I ask why no one told me this sooner and she said she didn't want to put all of that on me. I asked her to give me an example of what she meant by not being 100% and she said I wasn't putting back merchandise as soon as I finished cashing out a customer. She said I would ask questions that I should know the answers to and felt like she shouldn't have to retrain me. So I eventually ask what my job status is and she tells me that it's up to me. That if I can come back 100% then she can give me hours. I told her that I needed to think about it and she said that she had to send an email out within 24 hours to corporate and to let her know something by the next day.

My questions:
    Legally is an employer required to notify you if termination is being considered?
    Is an employer required to notify you if they feel your work performance is not up to par?
    Is an employer required to be truthful to an employee concerning their pay, schedule, etc...?

P.S. I was with the company for three years. It just seems as if Florida protects the rights of the employer more so than the rights of the employee.

ETA: I just feel really misled about this situation. My boss should have been truthful with me. I feel like had I not contacted her that day she would have terminated me without my knowledge, which is what the 24 hour email was all about.
    Last edited by orlandogirl1975; 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM.

Legally is an employer required to notify you if termination is being considered?
    Nope

Is an employer required to notify you if they feel your work performance is not up to par?
    Nope

Is an employer required to be truthful to an employee concerning their pay, schedule, etc...?
    Pay yes, schedule suprisingly not

If you haven't done so already file for UI for the time you've been out.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Thank you for your reply..will be filing for UI.

One more question:
      If it is required by the company itself to notify the employee of performance and that does not happen, is the only thing I can do is write a complaint?

Comment

If it is required by the company itself to notify the employee of performance and that does not happen, is the only thing I can do is write a complaint?
        This would be a matter of internal company policy only so I guess you could file a complaint to the appropriate person in house.
        "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X