This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales People being Exempt Florida

I have sales staff who are must be licensed in health and life insurance to work in our industry. Does this meet the requirements for professional exemption? This is a license that requires specialized training and a class of 40 hours prior to taking their exam. It also requires them to do continueing education every two years to retain their licensure. By the way we do pay for staff to go to the class and all licensing costs.

Based solely on what you just said, I would say no. I am including a pointer to the rules for the Professional exception. What you have said does not qualify.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/comp...ofessional.pdf
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thanks for responding!!

Thanks for your insight. To add a couple points to the issue, the licensure if a state designation as a Health and Life Sales Agent. We do pay staff above the dollars listed in the information you provided as well. I have pasted in some of the text that seems to apply, and added how it may relate.

To qualify for the creative professional employee exemption, all of the following tests must be met:
      The employee must be compensated on a salary or fee basis (as defined in the regulations) at a rate not less than $455 per week - We pay $550/wk not counting commissions.

The employee’s primary duty must be the performance of work requiring invention, imagination, originality or talent in a recognized field of artistic or creative endeavor. - The sales agent must have a thorough understanding of insurance law and insurance carrier underwriting guidelines.

Comment

I agree with DAW. I don't see it either. Just because they must be well-versed in their specialty doesn't necessarily meet the criteria for the Professional exemption. Honestly, I've never heard of salespeople being exempt under this classification.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The OP can try contacting DOL directly but I am skeptical.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X