Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly a weird question Florida

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Possibly a weird question Florida

    Just curious here. Say you are conducting a non contracted service at a resedence. The coustomer has payed in advance. While you are laboring, the coustomer gets angry, and blurts out "You want some trouble". The patron also throws degrading, intimidating language your way. Also the patron wants you to "get out of here". My question is, do I have the right to stay, and finish the job, since the coustomer payed for the service. Would it be reasonable to call the police, since at this point you are concerned for your own safety. Obviously it would be easyer to leave however, I like to make good on my end of the deal.

  • #2
    If the resident wants you to leave, you leave. All other issues are secondary. You do not wish to take any action which arguably escalated the situation. Regarding calling the police, maybe, but if someone wants to hurt you, the correct answer is to get promptly away from that person if possible. Especially when you are someone else's property and permission for you to remain on the property has been clearly withdrawn. The resident can argue that you are tresspassing at that point and the police might believe this. Leaving immeadiately minimizes these issues.

    "Making good on the deal" can be handled later by refunding the money, or talking or something, but this is a very low immeadiate priority given the facts you have stated.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

    Comment


    • #3
      Once you are told permission to be on the property is revoked, you must leave or you may be arrested for trespassing.
      Nothing in this post is intended as legal advice. Any advice, citation or analysis contained herein is intended soley for discussion purposes only. If you have concerns regarding your rights under the law, you should consult an attorney.

      Comment


      • #4
        I see your points

        I see both of your points, for my future reference, if I am on someone else's property, does that give them the right to threaten me?? On my way off the property? This is another can of worms, but for the sake of understanding, my company renders month to month service however, the coustomer receives the bill at the end of the month. If our patrons play the game, they could get a month's free service.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          Just curious here. Say you are conducting a non contracted service at a resedence.
          If you are at someones house preforming a service, you would have a contract.


          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          The coustomer has payed in advance.
          Sounds like a contract has been made with someone. Once money changes hands, there is an "understanding" or contract.


          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          While you are laboring, the coustomer gets angry, and blurts out "You want some trouble".
          What did you say?

          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          The patron also throws degrading, intimidating language your way. Also the patron wants you to "get out of here".
          I would immediately leave.

          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          My question is, do I have the right to stay, and finish the job, since the coustomer payed for the service.
          They say leave, you go. the verbal or written contract is now in dispute, and now is not the time to argue the situation.

          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          Would it be reasonable to call the police, since at this point you are concerned for your own safety.
          You call your dispatcher, and let the boss make that decision. Either way, you remove yourself from the customers sight and hearing.


          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          Obviously it would be easyer to leave however, I like to make good on my end of the deal.
          Hard to "make good" when you are shot by an irate homeowner.

          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          I see both of your points, for my future reference, if I am on someone else's property, does that give them the right to threaten me??
          Again, what did you say?

          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          On my way off the property?
          Just keep moving.

          Originally posted by George100 View Post
          This is another can of worms, but for the sake of understanding, my company renders month to month service however, the coustomer receives the bill at the end of the month. If our patrons play the game, they could get a month's free service.
          Was it an up front payment, or a billing situation? Either way, not your problem as a service man.

          I did service work for years, and only had one angry homeowner. The couple was fighting, but settled down when I asked if I should leave.

          Comment


          • #6
            Got Smart, When the coustomer asked," You want some trouble", I asked, are you threatening me? as I was walking out. Also I mistakenly posted that the coustomer payed in advance. I noted in our company polocy that coustomers do not have to pay in advance, if they prefer not to. Strange, but my boss works hard to keep a good regular coustomer base, as do I. As far as I know, we do not have written contracts with our coustomers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by George100 View Post
              Got Smart, When the coustomer asked," You want some trouble", I asked, are you threatening me? as I was walking out. Also I mistakenly posted that the coustomer payed in advance. I noted in our company polocy that coustomers do not have to pay in advance, if they prefer not to. Strange, but my boss works hard to keep a good regular coustomer base, as do I. As far as I know, we do not have written contracts with our coustomers.
              There must have been something that lead up to that point. The proper response is always "no sir"

              What kind of business is it you do? (No company names please) I will look up the pertinent laws. You have me curious.

              I worked on a dispatch basis as a plumber and the company had an oral contract before I was dispatched. If the job would run over $100, we would get the customer to sign a work order. (just a suggestion for your boss) I currently do home repairs, and I explain everything up front before I start the job. In 1/2 the cases, I write up the understanding, and we both sign.

              In no case is it worth getting threatened about a job.

              Comment


              • #8
                Got Smart, Thanks for the interest in my experience. I maintain pools. This particular pool pump/ and or motor/ and or pluming, was not not working properly upon my arrival. There was no one home, mail was overflowing in thier postal slot. I left a note ( baisically I maintained pool chemestry however threre is a technical problem with equipment). W recieved not one phone call or response from them, and could not get in touch with them by any means, all week. Upon my arrivall next week, the equipment was still down. Tryed to get a response on site, NOTHING. My boss wanted to go out for free, and diagnose the problem. We did some plumming, it seemed to be a leak somewhere underground. We could not fix the problem( new plumming was for free.) At this point we would have got them in touch with a underground leak detector agency. The next week I arrived, the owners came out and told me i need to leave a note before working on thier equipment, which I did every time I was there. The husband approched me, ( quite a do it your self'er type ). He was beyond nasty, I told him "easy with that tone". I also said, politely, that his story does not mach with what we were experencing for those three weeks. He said he was there every single #@%- %$#@@ day!!! He said, to some effect, your big and bad?? You want some trouble" AT THIS POINT I AM ON MY WAY OUT, and asked, are you threatening me??..... He mumbled somthing, I left, and we are fired.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have dealt with that type. BMOC, living beyond his means. Your boss would have been stiffed for the bill.

                  Your company is better off without that customer.

                  A complaint from one of those types, is like a recommendation with anyone that knows him.

                  Comment

                  The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X