Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an employer make you take additional responsibilities outside your job? Florida

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an employer make you take additional responsibilities outside your job? Florida

I am a I.T. employee for the county in a state building. I report to a state manager, but technically I don't work for her as I'm a county employee. My job is to provide this office with I.T. services.

My manager recently told me it was now my responsibility to do inventory of the building, counting furniture, etc. She recently laid off 5 people one of whom did this before. I said "I will do whatever is within my job description, but if something falls outside of that we need to have a discussion about it." She said "There might not be any discussion" and stormed off.

I don't mind doing it, but this is one of a long string of things this manager keeps trying to mess with me about. Entering in a door down the hall from the main one (which I don't do anymore), accusing me of coming in late (which I don't do), accusing me of being out too often (which I don't do), not getting along with coworkers (which I do and have 4 written statements submitted to my personnel file from them saying so), have been other things she has messed with me about in the past. She honestly doesn't even need anyone to do this, it's just her trying to see what she can make me do. It would literally take 4 hours max to do it. If she asked me to do it as a favor I'd do it no questions asked, but she keeps presenting things as if I have no choice but to comply. She also has numerous other problems with others in the office.

If I refuse to take on this additional responsibility, can I be fired? I wrote my county HR department once via email a week ago and they ignored me.

Yes, the employer can make you take on additional duties and, yes, you can be fired for refusing to do so.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Agree, you have to do whatever your manager tells/needs you to do. If you don't, you can be disciplined up to & including being fired. Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You are a county employee? Are you covered by a union contract?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I don't understand how a manager can just change your job, that doesn't make sense. If I'm hired as a surgeon for example, and my employer tells me cleaning bathrooms is my job for $10 an hour instead of being a doctor for $100 a year, I don't see how I would have to accept that. Isn't that some kind of employer false advertisement? Isn't this the purpose of having a job description?

If they could do this, telemarketing companies would advertise a position like sitting and playing video games all day. People would show up in droves, but when they got there they would put a headset on them and tell them if they don't do it there fired. There has to be some sort of responsibility to the employer to provide the job as advertised.

Can anyone show me where it says they can do this?

You are hired in a position to do a task. If that task is no longer needed, they lay you off or fire you. If they need someone to do a different task, they hire someone for it or find someone willing to change their current job to that task.
          Last edited by SmokinGun; 09-23-2008, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            You are a county employee? Are you covered by a union contract?
            I don't think so. I checked my county handbook and they mention they are opposed to unions right in the book, so I would think there is no union.

Comment

It doesn't have to make "sense". Short of a valid contract, it's the employer's legal perogative. If the employer wants to pay a surgeon $100/hr to clean bathrooms, they may. The employee's legal perogative is to quit.

It's not that there is a law that says the employer CAN do this; it's that there is no law that says the employer CANNOT do this.

Hey, if you'd rather have no job at all, I guess that's your choice. You can always quit.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

What's the point of having a job description then? Why don't they just make everyones job description say "You are my *****, you do whatever I want."

Seems like there is a legal reason for having one.

Comment

I'm not going to argue with you about this. There are some good reasons for job descriptions, but job descriptions are not contracts. Most job descriptions have the disclaimer "and other duties as may be assigned". There is just no law prohibiting what you describe and arguing about the logic of that is not going to change the fact that it's legal.

Comment

Job descriptions are not written in stone. They have to be fluid enough to meet the changing work environment.

Once a year, we have to do a huge mailing. It would be cheaper to send it out but we all do it. It makes no sense to have people who make $35- $66/ hour fold letters and stuff envelopes. However, we are told to do it and we do it.

It doesnt always make sense but unless its something with a safety component, your choice is to do the additional tasks or face disciplinary action.
                    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

How about instead of laying off anyone and having to pay them unemployment, employers just change their job to shoveling crap for 1$ and hour. If they quit, think of all the money they will save!

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinGun View Post
                        How about instead of laying off anyone and having to pay them unemployment, employers just change their job to shoveling crap for 1$ and hour. If they quit, think of all the money they will save!
                        Because that's a violation of the minimum wage law.

I think I'm done here.

Comment

Ok, lets say they give them the minimum wage for shoveling crap. Thank of all the money they will save!

You're "done here" because you're wrong. Employers can't do this.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinGun View Post
                            Ok, lets say they give them the minimum wage for shoveling crap. Thank of all the money they will save!

You're "done here" because you're wrong. Employers can't do this.
                            All right, I'm not done. Yes they can. Show me the law that says they can't.

C'mon, I'm waiting.

Comment

There is no Legal requirement that ANY employer pay anything more than minimum wage, whether it is shoveling crap or brain surgery. However, while you can find someone willing to shovel crap for minimum wage, you wont find a physician willing to do brain surgery for minimum wage. Economics drive wages in that fashion.

There is NO LAW that prohibits an employer from asking you to do additional tasks, whether or not they are related to your job or not.

If you are unionized, the collective bargaining agreement may limit your job duties.

Thats it. Whether your like it or agree with it. Thats the way it is.

I'm done too.
                              I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X