This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decreased Wages Florida

My wife has been working for a very large franchise for almost 3 years. She worked her way into management (assistant manager-night shift manager). She then transfered to anther store in the same franchise.

They wanted an assistent manager and this store is closer to home. She has been working at this store for almost 8 months.

Today she receives a phone call from the manager who proceeds to tell her that the franchise owner "no longer wants to pay her the wages of which she was hired as an assistent manger". They are basically dropping her position but not her responsibilities with the exception of inventory count once a week, which she will probably be asked to do anyways.

The store is not doing so well and their budgets are at max. The franchise rarely fires people, they usually just drive you to quiting. Most do this to avoid unemployment comp. She is the second highest paid person there.

It only makes sense that this is attempt to get her to quit for the purposes of saving a poorly ran franchise.

My main question is: Is it legal for them to just "no longer wants to pay her the wages of which she was hired as an assistant manger" and drop her wages? We are not talking about .10 cents, more like $2.00.

Any advice/replies is much
    appreciated

Thanks, Nick -Florida

It would depend on if there is a contract and not a verbal agreement on her wages. I think without a contract (that is legally binding), that they can drop her wages, as long as they do it before she works the hours. In other words, she can't find out about her pay change by picking up her check. I feel like I am missing something, so please stick around from answers from robb71, cbg,ellemd, pattymd, etc, because they are alot more knowledgable on this than I. Good luck!

Comment

As an assistant manager, is she being paid hourly or salary? If salary, how much per week?

Generally speaking, employers must notify employees of a decrease in pay rate before the hours are worked at the lower rate. However, this is a state requirement, when it exists, and I have not been able to find such a law in the Florida statutes.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I have referred posters to the Florida DWI for claims of retroactive pay decreases and had them report back that the state has informed them that there is no such requirement; that as long as the employee has received the state minimum wage (which is higher than Federal and represents Florida's almost sole labor law) that is all the state requires.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          I have referred posters to the Florida DWI for claims of retroactive pay decreases and had them report back that the state has informed them that there is no such requirement; that as long as the employee has received the state minimum wage (which is higher than Federal and represents Florida's almost sole labor law) that is all the state requires.
          Doesn't surprise me.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            As an assistant manager, is she being paid hourly or salary? If salary, how much per week?
            She gets paid hourly. Its just not right that they so wanted her to come and run this new store, had her transfer, and then decide 8 months later that they don't want to pay her the wages she was hired at.

She has totally set up, hired people, and closed this store flawlessly.She has been highly praised for cleaning up the night staffing issues they had before they hired her.

Now that the store is runnin like sewing machine, they don't want to pay her.

Anyways she is putting in for tranfer, she has great references. I am sure after she leaves they will know the mistake they have made. Especially since her whole staff loves her, they may also transfer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X