Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

benefits? Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • benefits? Florida

    My mother was hired as a pool position for a hospital approx. 2 months ago. A women at here job recently had a stroke and can not return. She was full- time with health benefits. The supervisor offered the full-time position to my mother, but he refuses to give her the benefits. Now I would think that since the position included benefits for the other women, that my mother would be entitled to the benefits also. Is there any laws about this? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

  • #2
    There is no law that requires an employer to offer benefits.

    If your mother is eligible really depends on how the company's plan is designed. There may be a waiting period (which is not uncommon). Other factors may be considered (i.e. # of hours worked, is the position temporary, etc.).


    • #3
      Even if the previous employee received benefits for the exact same position? Also she is perminent, and works 40 hrs a week.
      Last edited by dchi; 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM.


      • #4
        The company's plan documents should define eligibility requirements. I'd suggest having your mother read over them to see how/when/if she qualifies. The fact that the previous worker qualified does not, in itself, guarantee eligibility for your mother. Each company that offers health benefits has its own plan(s). And each plan may be different. Unfortunately the answer we can offer is not definitive since we do not have access to the plan documents for your mother's employer.


        • #5
          thank you I really appreciate it the quick replies


          The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.