This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unemployment benefits-eligibility Florida

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this issue. The company I work for is being sold in a couple of weeks. The new owners want the old employees to continue to work for them and they have said it will be same pay and same schedule, but some of the employees still want to leave. Our manager said he will lay us off if we want but he cannot guarantee we will receive unemployment benefits. Also, our payroll is done through a staffing agency and when our employment ends we are supposed to go through them to find new work. I wanted to know if we get laid off can we collect unemployment since we were offered to keep our same job just with a different payroll company. Also, just how much does the unemployment office check into the claims it receives. Are they really strict on giving unemployment benefits. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by fallstar49
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this issue. The company I work for is being sold in a couple of weeks. The new owners want the old employees to continue to work for them and they have said it will be same pay and same schedule, but some of the employees still want to leave. Our manager said he will lay us off if we want but he cannot guarantee we will receive unemployment benefits. Also, our payroll is done through a staffing agency and when our employment ends we are supposed to go through them to find new work. I wanted to know if we get laid off can we collect unemployment since we were offered to keep our same job just with a different payroll company. Also, just how much does the unemployment office check into the claims it receives. Are they really strict on giving unemployment benefits. Thanks for any help.
    One of the guidlines to recieving unemployment, is that you do not refuse a work offer, so I doubt that you could recieve it if they told them you were offered another job, and you refused to take it.

Comment

I agree. If you are offered a job with the new owners at the same pay and the same schedule, it is quite unlikely that you will qualify for unemployment benefits if you refuse the job and instead are laid off.

Unemployment benefits are intended for those who lose their job through no fault of their own. If you turn down work at the same pay and same schedule, that's NOT through no fault of your own. You could have been employed but chose not to be.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X