Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Exempt 50-60 hrs/promised assistance for 1 year

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exempt 50-60 hrs/promised assistance for 1 year

    I have been working 50 - 60 hours a week for over a year to keep up with slack in my department where I have been promised assistance repeatedly. All of the executive management state I am doing the best job they can expect, and I am still the Director of my department. I have been given one excuse after the other as to why they can't hire someone. I recently found out the actual reason is that other departments were allowed to over hire. They are just taking advantage of my determination. If I stop picking up the slack they will have to bring in the extra help or replace me. Do I have any protection against losing my position if I stop working these hours that are damaging my health?
    Last edited by startingover45; 09-12-2006, 04:59 PM.

  • #2
    That would depend on if you are employed under an enforceable employment contract or collective bargaining agreement (which spell out the terms of employment). If neither exist, you could be "expected" to keep your work schedule. As the director of the department, it's your responsibility to keep things running. Failing to do so could lead to termination. I am not unsympathetic. I, too, have worked under conditions were my budget does not allow for additional headcount. It's tough; but if you want the job, you keep on truckin'.


    • #3
      Thanks for the reply

      Not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know where I sit. I've already applied for a few other positions. I doubt the pay will be equal, but my health is worth more. Thanks for your sympathy and assistance.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.