This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job making me work extra Florida

ok, i am just wondering if anyone knows what the law is that covers this. I have recently been told by my boss, that if they tell me to stay past my scheduled time, that i have to stay. it doesnt sound right to me, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. if he is wrong or right, can someone tell me what law it is.

The problem is that there is no law addressing this issue. So to answer your question, your boss is right. He can expect you to stay later than you are scheduled for.

Comment

Your boss is right. He can require you to stay as long as he needs you to, regardless of whether it is beyond your scheduled time or not.

He can do this because there is no law that says he can't.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

For your reference, here is a link to Florida labor code: (Overview).

You can google Title XXXI for more information on Florida labor code.

Comment

Originally posted by DedHed
          ok, i am just wondering if anyone knows what the law is that covers this. I have recently been told by my boss, that if they tell me to stay past my scheduled time, that i have to stay. it doesnt sound right to me, but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. if he is wrong or right, can someone tell me what law it is.
          Well, as long as your compensated for it, right? You are compensated, ie Overtime pay and/or Comp Time?

Comment

Originally posted by axed
            Well, as long as your compensated for it, right? You are compensated, ie Overtime pay and/or Comp Time?
            FYI, comp time is really not a legal practice in the private sector.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X