This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOM MAKING ME WORK Florida

I'm 17 and for the past year I have been working full time with my mother at this title company. I don't wish to work full time but she says I have to in order to get my car. What kind of trouble could she get into for being my boss and my mom and hiring me to work 40 hours plus a week?

Originally posted by budnbella829
    I'm 17 and for the past year I have been working full time with my mother at this title company. I don't wish to work full time but she says I have to in order to get my car. What kind of trouble could she get into for being my boss and my mom and hiring me to work 40 hours plus a week?
    None, from your post there isn't anything illegal happening. If you want the car, do what her Mom asks and earn it.
    Last edited by mlane58; 06-09-2006, 01:22 PM.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble but your mother may make you get a job if you want a car. That is a parenting decision, not a legal one. No state has ever passed a law that says kids should get privledges without having to earn them. At 17 it is perfectly legal for you to work 40 hours a week.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Nor is there anything illegal about her being your boss.

Your mom is not going to get into any kind of trouble. You are, though - with her.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

What kind of trouble could she get into for being my boss and my mom and hiring me to work 40 hours plus a week? None.

If you want a car, then it appears you'd better be prepared to work. Your mother is doing you a FAVOR by providing a job for you so that you can earn the money for the car you want.

Sheesh.

Comment

Sheesh
            Beth, my sentiments exactly.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Sorry y'all. I sent her here to ask this portion of her question because I didn't understand that she was asking if it was legal for her mother to make her get off her behind to earn the money for a car.
              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
              How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
              (unique up on him)
              How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
              (same way)

Comment

No problem, mommyof4. Welcome to the real world, oh daughter of yours!
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

answer

Actually, in Florida, a 17 year old does have a limit of a maximum of 30 hours a week (during a school week, even if there is only one day of school during the week, this is considered a school week and a 16-17 year old minor cannot exceed 30 hours under theses conditions)

Comment

There are some exceptions to this rule. When do/did you graduate high school?

http://www.state.fl.us/dbpr/reg/chil...overview.shtml

Comment

The OP is not attending school.
                      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                      (unique up on him)
                      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                      (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                        The OP is not attending school.
                        If that's the case, then the OP may work a full-time schedule.

Comment

And, this post was from several months ago.
                          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X