This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My unemployment appeal is tomorrow, have a few questions Colorado

Ok I have a few questions about the appeal process and if anyone can tell me if I have a good chance of winning my appeal. Here is what happened:

I was employed for a financial company for about 2 1/2 years. Never warned once for being late, leaving early or for taking any kind of unauthorized vacation. I also never had any other type of warning for my work or anything else. One day I was granted a 1/4 day off at the end of the day but I still left 15 minutes early. When I was called in to a supervisors office that friday I was told I was being fired for leaving early. I even asked them if this was my only infraction and they said it was.

When I applied for unemployment I was denied, the reason being my former employer cited 8-73-108 (5) (XVII), Taking an unauthorized vacation. I have my appeal tomorrow and the response my employer sent them the first time stated, "The claimant was discharged for violation of a reasonable and known policy."

I believe this info is enough for me to win my appeal based on what I have read. I don't think leaving 15 minutes early constitutes "unnauthorized vacation". Plus it was only one time.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the process and their thought on if I would win.

Also, assuming I win, how long does it take before I find out/get my first payment? I am in desperate need of the funds as I have not found another job and bills are pilling up.

Thanks in advance.

I think your employer was being extremely unreasonable and I think you have a better than 50% chance of prevailing.

You'd have to ask the state how long it will take to get your first check (or resume payments). Could be as little as a week from the time the decision is made.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Patty. Yes I think they were unreasonable. One thing I forgot to mention is that the following week or so they laid off 24 people from our denver office. I am sure they were just looking at any reason to let people go before that.

Well, I guess all I can do is tell the truth and hope for the best.

Comment

Yes, that's all you can do - tell the truth.

Good luck to you.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X