This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaks, schedule changes, work week, verbal warnings Colorado

I work in a distribution warehouse. We get (1) 20 minute break for an 8 hour shift. The company will put a 5 day schedule up on Fri, change it to 6 on Sat, and post a 7 day schedule on Mon, never verbally telling us anything. We have a pre-shift meeting and on several occassions the management will tell us that they are inventing a new policy and to consider this our Verbal Warning. We sometimes work 2 or more 7 day work weeks in a row. This just ain't right. What laws are they violating and how can I fix it?

Colorado: Employers are required to give a meal period of 30 min. if an employee works in excess of 5 hours. If the nature of the job doesn't allow for an uninterrupted meal period, the employee must be permitted to consume an "on duty" meal while performing duties. Such a meal period must be paid time. Also, every employer is required to provide a rest period in the middle of each four-hour work period. Moreover, a compensated 10 min. period for every 4 hrs. worked is permitted for all employees. Applies to public & private employers with various exceptions incl. elected officials & their staffs. Covers only the following four industries: retail and service, commercial support service, food and beverage, and health and medical. Administrative, executive/supervisor, professional, and outside sales employees are exempt.

Otherwise, I don't see anything illegal your employer is doing in your post. You can be required to work as many hrs./days as your employer asks/requires you to. There are only a few occupations that have a limit as to max. # of hrs./time that can be worked (airline pilot for example).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Breaks for Colorado

Hello, I am keeping my real name hidden atm. I work in Early Childcare and at this time I work 4-10 hour shifts. I eat my meals with the children or I eat it while they are resting. But here is the problem that I have. My current boss has told me that I am only allowed to take 2-5 min breaks. I was taking 3-5 min breaks (1 in the morning around 10:30, next @ 12:30 or 1:00, and then again @ 3:30ish). When I told them that they are required to give me at least 2 10 min breaks, they explained that if they gave everyone a 10 min break they would have to have someon moving around from classroom to classroom for 1 1/2 hours. I have been trying to do some research on Colorado Labor Laws for break requirements, but every thing I find says that teachers, medical, etc. are exempt from this. Can someone shed some light on this because I am very frustrated.

In need of some help,

Schuyla

Comment

Schuyla - Would you please start your own new thread. You added to another poster's thread from 2-2008. Thanks.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X