Paycheck Disbursement California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paycheck Disbursement California

I need clarification on paycheck availability. Do live checks need to be in the employees' hand on payday, or mailed on payday. Currently the live checks are available the afternoon before payday and mailed that night to ensure a 'payday' postmark. It has been suggested that Ca law is ambiguous at best, but should be interpreted that the checks need to be mailed days before payday. Thanks.

It has always been my understanding that as long as the paychecks are postmarked on or before the actual payday, the employer is in the clear, but California can be an odd duck at times. DAW?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Since the employer has no control over what the USPS does there would simply be no way to enforce an "in the hands of the employee" law. We've all had letters that took weeks to make it fairly short distances.

Comment

I have always mailed one day before pay day, and did indeed have several people file claims with CA=DLSE that we won. I just checked the CA-DLSE manual and I am not seeing this specific point addressed. Also, push direct deposit hard and the issue goes away for those folks.

Not the question, but IMO handing out checks is a bad idea. Makes fraud way too easy. IMO, mail everything, no exceptions. It makes direct deposit a much easier sell. Checks are evil.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X