X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty3
    replied
    My neighbors' oldest daughter went to Washington Univ. in St. Louis & is now
    going to the Univ. of Chicago law school & she is already being told lawyer jokes.
    (not from me though)

Leave a comment:

• MrsRedSox
    replied
    My husband is an attorney and we hear our fair share of lawyer jokes. I had not heard the doctor/lawyer one before, DAW and I love it (the best jokes are the ones that are closest to the truth)!

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Cute/funny, DAW.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    That works also. I do not know if they still do this, but the NOLO Press website not only has really good legal information, but also great lawyer jokes. Example:

A lawyer and a doctor get in a car accident. The lawyer helps the doctor to the side of the road, then gets a flask of whiskey and gives the doctor a drink. Then puts the flask in the trunk of his car without drinking.

The doctor asks "aren't you going to have a drink?"

The lawyer says "sure, right after the police leave."

-----

A bunch of very drunk people are on a cruise boat, followed by a lot of sharks. The lawyer falls overboard, but to every one's surprise, swims back to the boat unharmed. "A miracle" says the priest. "No, just professional curtesy" says the lawyer.

-----

The American Medical Association annouced that they were no longer using rats for lab experiments and would instead be using lawyers. The reasons were:
    - Lawyers are more plentiful then rats.
    - Researchers are less likely to form emotional attachments to lawyers.
    - The AMA was tired of being picketed by animal rights activists.
    - And medical testing on lawyers yielded results generally applicable to human beings.
    Last edited by DAW; 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Originally posted by DAW View Post
    How can you tell if a salesperson is lying? Check to see if his/her lips are moving.[/COLOR]
    I heard this joke also but instead of a salesperson - it was a lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    There are a number of reputable sites (like this one) that sell the posters; there are also a lot of not-so-reputable distributors who try to convince you that you need new ones when you really don't.

If you have the posters up, DAW has some good suggestions as to ways to see if you're current.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    Agreed with all the other answers. I can remember a very long time ago getting my very first soliciation on this sort of thing. The advertising notice said (or at least strongly implied) that all laws had just changed, and that if I did not spend a lot of money buying the very expensive posters that this company had to sell, that police would kick in the door and arrest me. I did not buy their posters and the police did not kick in the door and arrest me. Interestingly, I kept getting exactly the same notice from the same company each year, claiming each and every year that all laws had changed and I needed a new set of posters from this company. Over time I started paying attention to the actual changes in labor law and had a better idea when the posters really did change. My first real employer was a large manufacturing company who kept their primary posters in a locked glass "trophy cabinet" near HR, and secondary sets in all the lunch rooms (very big building). Some of the "posters" looked to be pre-WWII. This company was in maybe 8 states, and HR kept a single page document with contact information on where to get new posters on. Something one of their clerks did every January. Back in the pre-Internet days where you just called up the government and something (eventually) showed up in the mail.

Yes there are posters you need, but no they (mostly) do not change every year. If you want to spend some time you can find them for free on the internet. (Bookmark the websites for next year). Or you can buy them from someone (the price on the ad on this website sounds reasonable). If you want to do an internet search, try "required labor law poster" with the state name. Maybe with a "site:*.gov" to restrict the search to the free ones.

Semi-related joke.

How can you tell if a salesperson is lying? Check to see if his/her lips are moving.
    Last edited by DAW; 01-13-2011, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    It sounds like you probably have been posting the required federal & state posters
    but just wanted to know if there was something new out call the Ca/Federal Employee
    Notice Posters.

I'm sure they are talking about the regular posters you always needed to post. If you
    have not been posting them as cbg also noted, you definitely need to do so.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    There are both Federal and state posters that are mandatory (in every state). This site sells them, although you can also get them for free by printing them from the state and Federal respective DOL's. (Sorry, Ronald!) Look at the dark blue stripe at the very top of this page; you will see some bright red printing.

These posters have been required by law for as long as I can remember. They are periodically updated as laws for which notifications are required are created or amended, but to my knowledge there have been no changes to the Federal ones, at least, for 2011. I can't say about CA specifically, although I have not heard of any state updates.

If you are not currently posting these, I respectfully suggest that you do so immediately.

Leave a comment:

• lltuser
    replied
    Hi!

So, are there "Employee Notice" posters specifically named like that (e.g. "FMLA Employee Notice")?

Or is that just a general reference to posting requirements to simply "notify employees"?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Not new at all. There have always been a number of notices that must be posted under both federal and California law. Sounds like you may be getting solicitations from companies that sell these huge posters which claim to include alll required postings on a single poster (in, I must say, very small print).

Leave a comment:

• lltuser
    started a topic CA/Federal Employee Notice Posters California

CA/Federal Employee Notice Posters California

Hi!

What are CA/Federal Employee Notice Posters? Are they something new for 2011?

Thanks!
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X