Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Overpayment of Wages

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Overpayment of Wages

    I work in Los Angeles. I was incorrectly paid on two consecutive pay-periods, both of which I had overtime hours owed to me. I was underpaid the first pay-period and did not catch it. Although I had overtime coming to me, I was still overpaid on the second pay-period. I immediately contacted payroll re their error. After doing the calculations, I was informed by them the amount I had to pay back in GROSS dollars, the amount I was given sounded reasonable. I was then sent an email that doubled the amount I was initially told to pay back. I was only given a pay-period total of the correct calculations. After deducting the second amount given to me from what I had been paid, I ended up taking LESS than what I would normally take home without overtime. I spoke to them and they would not budge and I was told that "I better be prepared to pay" that amount back within a couple of days.

    I asked them to give me a NET amount of what I should have correctly been paid (including the OT hours owed to me). I would then deduct that from the amount I had been paid and I would paid THAT difference. They insisted I had to pay back in GROSS dollars. This does not sound right to me and I have not been given an explanation. I do want to pay back what I am not entitled to, bu this just doesn't seem fair.

    This mistake could have been corrected before the year end, but I was told it couldn't because it was the last [physical] "check" of the year. I disagree, becuase I still had two more weeks of work which I performed before the end of the year. How is is going to affect my taxes. The amount was approximately 1K.

    Thank you for your feedback.
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.