This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Unemployment Claim Appeal Hearing California

Hi. I was denied unemployment benefits. I filed an appeal and was scheduled for a hearing. I missed the hearing. I have had difficulty getting a person on the phone to ask if I can reopen it, or schedule another one.

Anyone familiar with what I would need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Unless you have a VERY GOOD reason for missing, I would not count on having another appeal. Not showing up for your own appeal usually gets the claim dismissed.

Comment

Keep calling. However, as the other responder noted, they generally
      don't reopen a UI appeal unless you had a very good reason for missing
      the hearing.

Why did you miss the hearing?
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
        Keep calling. However, as the other responder noted, they generally
        don't reopen a UI appeal unless you had a very good reason for missing
        the hearing.

Why did you miss the hearing?
        I was offered a job the day prior which turned out to not be what I had expected. This is no one's fault but my own. I assume all responsibility.

I would just like to know if this is something I would have to handle over the phone or should I reapply for unemployment benefits, get denied, then file another appeal?

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by SirBishop View Post
          I was offered a job the day prior which turned out to not be what I had expected..
          Refussing work will also disqualify you.

Comment

Originally posted by christamcd View Post
            Refussing work will also disqualify you.
            that's understandable. i figured a job offer is a legit job. it was going to be under-the-table pay. I discovered that my first day.

Comment

Originally posted by SirBishop View Post
              that's understandable. i figured a job offer is a legit job. it was going to be under-the-table pay. I discovered that my first day.
              That could be a mitigating factor. Maybe.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                That could be a mitigating factor. Maybe.
                do you think this would be something I would handle by:

-reapplying for benefits, getting denied, then filing an appeal?
                -calling the office and taking it from there?
                or
                -writing a letter?

Comment

I'm not an expert in CA UI to that extent, sorry. Another responder may be.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You will get a notice of determination in a week or so. You will likely lose but there will be information to appeal. You will need to appeal in writing and they will reschedule the hearing to include "was there good cause for your failure to appear".

Most claimants are successful in re-opening their hearings.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X