This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Quit- TX to CA : EDD benefits denied California

I recently moved from CA (quit job to move to TX). Always lived and worked in CA so this was a big move for me and my daughters. I was denied benefits. Finally found a part time assignment (30day?) with agency. While working, I was notified that the home where I had been living in was being foreclosed and or being sold in a 30-day short sale by the owner due to recent divorce. With school coming up for my kids. I decided to voluntarily quit and move back to CA, instead of becoming homeless, as I have no family or friends in TX. I spent 6 months in texas before finding a part time I had no money to seek other housing opportunities on such short notice. I applied for food stamps a month earlier before finding job; which I've never been so desperate nor applied, until recent for me and my kids. I was unable to get TANF assistance due to owning a vehicle. I was denied unemployment benefits and fied an appeal due to good cause.... Does anyone have any similiar stores and if so, how did you pursue - I need my benefits. I'm living with relative and have absolutely no income. Others are basically supporting me and my kids.

I'm sorry, but you voluntarily quit your job in California, then you voluntarily quit your job in Texas to move back to California. Although you had very good personal reasons to do so, they are not "reasons connected with the work" which would qualify you for benefits. At least you have a support network; some people don't even have that.

For other assistance, you can contact the United Way for referrals, maybe the Salvation Army, your church, food banks.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You should appeal your denial of UI benefits which it seems you did. However,
      you generally don't get UI when you quit your job so don't get your hopes up
      too high.

You need to continue looking for employment.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Always appeal.

However, in my state (Arizona) the State encourages employers to protest benefits unless the seperation is initiated by the employer AND it is an economic layoff. So, I wouldn't hold my breath.
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Court Hearing Completed on 10/27/10

Will advise on court decision.. I did appeal and took my documents.

They are claiming that I had no intention on working there for the duration of my assisgnment and wanted to move back to CA to be
          with my grandparent.... total Lie!
          Last edited by 972hernandez; 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Keep us posted. All you could do was tell the truth.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And the verdict is...

Issue: The claimant appealed from a determination disqualifying the claimant for unemployment benefits.

Reasons for Decision: An individual is disqualified for benefits if he or she left his or her most recent work voluntarily without good cause.

There is good cause for voluntarily leaving work where the facts disclose a real substantial and compellig reason of such nature as would cause a reasonable person genuinely desirous of retaining employment to take similar action.

In this case, because the claimant was served with a notice to terminate her tenancy, and because the claimant did not have the funds for a new rental, the claimant had good cause to quit work to move in with her relative for free room and board. These financial circumstances were real and substantial reasons to quit her work, notwithstanding her desire to retain her employment.

The claimant voluntarily left his /her most recent work with good cause. Accordingly, the claimant is not disqualified for benefits under section 1256 of the code.

DECISION:
              The department's determination is reversed. The claimant is not disqualified for benefits under section 1256 of the code. Benefits are payable, provided the claimant is otherwise eligible.

Fight for your rights my friends... and thank you for your support!

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Continuing to seek Employment

I'm continue to seek employment, thus far no job offer as of yet! Recently in 2 weeks have been on 1 phone interview, which led to 2nd - awaiting status and another referral from agency; which I didn't receive due to call center experience & I'm more noted as administrative.

But, at least now I have gas money to continue my search! Praise God!!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X