This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a rest period? California

I understand that it is payed and you don't have to be able to leave the premises. I understand that it can't be a bathroom break and you need to be able to have a place to sit down that isn't the restroom. I understand that for every 8 hour shift you get to take a break within the first four hours and it should be in the middle of the four hour period. ETC..What I don't get is whether or not I need to be relieved of my duties. I can sit down but I am responsible for watching over a client. My break is not duty free. Does this make a difference?

Yes, it does, that is not a bona fide rest break.

However, what type of work do you do in what type of business? There are some exceptions in the industry-specific wage orders.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

hi

care giving type work. (Not a 24 hour facility.)

Comment

OK, then, that is where I was going with my question.

You can file a complaint with the DLSE that the employer is not providing duty-free rest breaks.
        http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_RestPeriods.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thanks

I already filed with them and had a conference. At the conference my boss said I had plenty of time to take my break. I was very frustrated because no one get's breaks at my work, but I seem to be the exception because my client is capable of sitting in one spot and not running out into the street every 5 minutes. The commissioner asked if I was able to get up and look at something on the wall or remove myself from my client and I was confused because I wouldn't necessarily consider this as a break because any time my client needed me I had to come running plus I was taking down notes every 5 minutes because this is my job. where does it say the 10 minute is duty free?
          Last edited by knowitall; 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

It doesn't specifically, but it is a matter of opinion, context and extent. If you've already had the conference, us guessing about what they will or should decide is an exercise in futility.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X