This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Unemployment California

Someone is in their first extension of California unemployment benefits and considering looking for/taking a short term and parttime contract (20 hours per week for 12 weeks). They expect they will make more money each week than their unemployment payment.

2 questions:

Once the contract/parttime work is over, will EDD continue to pay against the original claim/extension?

Does the employment setup make a difference (options are w2 employee of the temp firm or a contractor 1099 managing own taxes)?

Thanks for your time!

On a normal claim, the part-time work might extend the claim. But these extensions have gotten so confusing, I'm not sure I know the answer.

What I CAN say is that there are very strict guidelines about who is an employee and who is an independent contractor, and it's not just "because that is how we do things".
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1779.pdf
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X