As a Sports Official, I am an independent contractor and have chosen to be a member of non-profit Sports Officials Association. The association has accepted my membership, I have completed the probationary period and have been a regular member for several years.

The association has an agreement with the City stating that the association has the 1st right of refusal to service all leagues sponsored by the City Recreation Department.

Recently a private promoter started their own leagues. The City does not sponsor the private promoters leagues. The City simply rents their facilities to the promoter.

At lasts months membership meeting, the board announced that anyone discovered working for the private promoter would be suspended and their membership reviewed.

There is nothing in the association ByLaws defining or prohibiting officiating outside of the associations contracts.

Does the association have the legal right in California to establish and execute these restrictions on its member subcontractors?

Does the association have the legal right in California to establish and execute these restrictions on its member subcontractors with or without the memberships approval?

Thanks