This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIPPA, PHI and my employer California

I went on an unprotected leave for stress and anxiety. I told my employer I needed time off to deal with a personal medical issue. I was granted such time and have now been released to full duty.

While on unprotected leave, HR requested I send in a form (above and beyond the state mandated form) with the "type of practice" of the doctor I was seeing. I challenged them, I felt like they were baiting me. They kept asking leading questions.

Then my therapist told me he received forms from a workers comp insurance company (not even our insurer) . I did not file a WC claim. However, I did file SDI.

Today, I received a "statement of benefits" directly from my employer drawn off our Insurance provider (not our WC insurer) with the "type of practice" on it. How did they receive this? Isn't this considered PHI?

We are an employer with over 50 employees. I am afraid a stigma is now attached to me. I am a female. I work in a male dominated industry (aviation); and in the real world this could destroy my reputation and career. Should I even bother to contact a lawyer?
    Last edited by lf644; 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM. Reason: grammer
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X