Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

California What kinds of restrictions are there on shift lengths?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • California What kinds of restrictions are there on shift lengths?

    I was scheduled 12-8 but was required to stay till 8:30. Is my job allowed to do this? And yes, I did get a break. I'm mainly interested in whether or not the job can, against my wishes, require me to stay longer than I have been scheduled for.


  • #2
    There are no laws addressing shift length for general employment; nor does any law prohibit mandatory overtime. There are a few industry specific exceptions for jobs where there is a public safety factor - airline pilot, long haul trucker, in some states nurses.

    CA is one of the very few states (two, actually) that in some circumstances limits the amount of overtime that can be required, but it is MUCH more than a half hour, and the law does not limit the employer's right to require you to stay later; only how much overtime over the course of a week/pay period you can be required to stay.

    Unless you fall into one of the rare exceptions and/or are required to work beyond the limit set by state law, if the employer says you stay beyond the end of your shift, you stay beyond the length of your shift.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Exactly what I was asking for. Thank you very much!


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.