This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice required for mandatory meeting? California

My sister is a child-care provider for our local school district, and has been having problems with her supervisor for quite a while now. One of the supervisor's favorite games has been to call her in for a meeting, insisting that it is a non-disciplinary meeting and therefore my sister is not entitled to have her union representative present, and then the meeting turns out to be disciplinary in nature.

This afternoon, the supervisor e-mailed my sister at her job site and insisted that she attend a meeting tomorrow, either before or after her regularly scheduled shift. Both my sister and her supervisor are aware that the union rep is not available tomorrow, which is most likely why the supervisor is insistent that the meeting happen at that time. Is there any federal or California law that would require the supervisor to provide more notice than this before a mandatory meeting? Does my sister have any legal basis for insisting that the meeting be scheduled at a time when the union rep is available?

Also, since the supervisor has a history of claiming that meetings are non-disciplinary, then instituting disciplinary action at such meetings, can my sister insist on having her union rep present at ALL meetings with this supervisor, just in case?

Any advice would be appreciated. (And frankly, if anyone has a referral for a good labor attorney in the Ventura County area, that'd be great, too.)

There are no laws that require any particular notice of a meeting, mandatory or not. However, though I am not an expert on Weingarten, if I am not mistaken I believe it is your sister's right under the law to insist that the meeting be delayed until her rep is available. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

This site cannot provide attorney referrals.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Talk to your union rep. That's what they're there to do.

Comment

By my understanding cbg, and I too am no expert, you have it right on track.
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X