This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Abandonment "Black list"? California

I recently gave a "2-day notice" as part of the upper-management in a large pharmacy/retail company. My district manager told me that by doing what I did, I'd be placed on something of a "black-list" for people who've abandoned their jobs. This supposed list is accessed by 50-70 large companies whenever said companies run pre-hire screening and background checks.

This didn't sound right and many people have told me there's no such thing in California as California is an "at-will" state. However, a couple people have heard rumors of such a list, so I need to confirm this, just for peace-of-mind.

Any truth to this?

Truthful or not, you have left an opinion wih your previous employer that can and will be spoken of when requesting job history.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I'm not too concerned about that. I have strong references and I've already secured a position with another company.

I was told that I would be placed on this "list" for 7 years. Sort of like an "ESTEEM" program but not for theft.

Comment

I have never heard of a "realistic" blacklist, however after doing a quick search I found this link, perhaps it will help.

http://www.ehow.com/list_5793294_emp...cklisting.html
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Thanks for that, it was very insightful.

Comment

For anybody else that might need a definite answer to this question, check this out.

Comment

FYI, after over 30 years in HR, I have yet to see this infamous "blacklist" that is said to exist.

For the record, blacklisting does not mean what many people think it means. NO state permits an employer to actively conspire to prevent an employee from obtaining new employment, which is what blacklisting actually is. However, it is just as true that no state prohibits an employee from providing a truthful but negative reference, which is what too many people believe it to be.

I think Catbert's link does a very good job at distinguising the difference.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I understand that by abandoning my job, I burned a vital bridge that cannot be used in the future as a positive reference.

What irritated me was the fact that my district manager would say such a thing to try and stop me from leaving.

Comment

I'm not saying employers don't share information; they do. I'm saying that the existance of a database of "blacklisted" employees either does not exist, or has been successfully hidden from most HR personnel. I don't know of a single person in HR (and yes, we do discuss these things) who is aware of anything like the poster has described.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Twisted minds, think alike...

Originally posted by DaSlapa
                    Well given the link you posted I would take that attorneys advice, however you have already secured a new position, for a court to enjoin a company from any kind of a list they would want to see blood: terminations, employees not hired after leaving, some other type of economic interference. Most definitely there are lists, particularly with the Internet and the ease of information blogs, Twitter, texting and social networking sites are a sign of the times, so the technology is there.

To believe that no such thing could possibly exist is to believe employers don't share information at all, and that definitely is not the case.

Oh God !
                    PLEASE PLEASE don’t say that !
                    You have no idea what you could be starting ! ! !

Like Santa Claus, there is no such thing as, a black list
                    That subject, like the proverbial dead horse, has been

BEAT T O DEATH !

Instead, you should say….

Somewhere…

Somehow….

A BLACK BALL has fallen out of it’s bag,

and it has your name on it,

and it’s going to be passed around.

And there is not a **** thing you can do about it.

Anyone with an once of brains knows very well you will NEAVER EVER see such a thing that you could hold in your hand,
                    or store in a drawer,
                    called a BLACK LIST

In truth, if there were such a thing,
                    you would not have a list,

YOU WOULD HAVE EVIDENCE.

Nor, will you find,
                    BLACK BALLS anymore,
                    those days are gone too,
                    they went out of style some fifty, sixty or more years ago.

These days,
                    it’s all done

by

word of mouth….~~~~~

..________________
                    ~ Helping to rid the world of stupidity,
                    Starting with my own...

Comment

Ditto. I've also been in HR for 30+ years and there's simply no such thing as a blacklist.

Comment

Told ya !!

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority,
                        and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
                        it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by drruthless View Post
                          Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority,
                          and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
                          it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
                          You use a toothpick.

Comment

I WAS the HR department at at least two companies.

It's quite possible that certain companies may have their own internal list (otherwise known as employees ineligible for rehire) but that is not the same thing as an intercompany database of blacklisted employees.

Comment

Fine, have it your way. Despite the fact that many if not most employers do not let line supervisors or anyone else but HR give out references, somehow or other such a blacklist has not only managed to exist but to avoid the notice of HR for decades.

If you say so.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X