This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Changes to avoid overtime California

We have published schedules at my job and record our hours against them... Is it legal for my boss to change my schedule on me and force me to work it??

My normal hours are 10-7

My boss tells me yesterday i want you to work 4pm to 1 am tomorrow on a project because i don't want to pay you overtime...

Can my boss legally make up whatever schedule he wants even though my schedule online is published as 10-7?

is there any repercussions to saying no? for instance having school or other plans??i thought there was a lay that has something to do with your ability to be ready willing and able to work your scheduled shift...

I am salaried non exempt BTW if that matters...

Thank you...

While overtime, if worked, must be paid, it is legal in all 50 states for an employer to adjust your schedule so as to avoid your working overtime hours. No state has any laws addressing scheduling.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      While overtime, if worked, must be paid, it is legal in all 50 states for an employer to adjust your schedule so as to avoid your working overtime hours. No state has any laws addressing scheduling.

So having a published schedule is basically a waste of time? it means nothing?

What keeps your manager from shifting your schedule and then firing you for coming in late because the time is different then the time you were supposed to be in according to your "published schedule"

Comment

No, it doesn't mean "nothing", but it is not legally relevant.

Oh, Bob, you were supposed to be here at 8, but I didn't tell you that, so you're fired? Has that happened?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X