X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding final pay for exempt employee California

Good morning all!
    Last Thursday we suspended an exempt foreman for leaving the job without permission/notification.
    He was to return to work next Monday following a whole week of suspension without pay.
    During this time, we have discovered many discrepancies in the job, poor work that had been performed as well as many other viloations. Due to this we have decided to terminate his employment. He is scheduled to come in tomorrow at which time we will hand him his final pay, my question is do we have to pay him for showing up to the termination meeting? No work is going to be performed.
    Thanks!

Soft answer, but I would say yes. You are controlling the employee's time. They cannot productively use it for anything else. And why give an angry former employee a "hit me stick" for such small money?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
      Soft answer, but I would say yes. You are controlling the employee's time. They cannot productively use it for anything else. And why give an angry former employee a "hit me stick" for such small money?

Agree. I've done that in the exact same situation.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

exempt pay

question to DAW's answer: If this person is EXEMPT - don't you have to pay him not only that day he comes in to be fired - but til the end of the payweek? That was my understanding of the classification of paying exempt employees per week no matter how many hours they work. ?
        Thanks to anyone who can clarify.

Comment

No, even an exempt employee only has to be paid for time actually worked in the first or last week of employment. That is one of the exceptions in the FLSA. While a state law could dictate otherwise, to my knowledge only NH has done so.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X