X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocked on for under a minute - Should I be paid? California

Hello,

Recently, at my work, I swiped my time card, came downstairs and was ready to work when a manager ran up to me and said they didn't need me for the day and that I need to leave, so I went up and swiped my time card again. I was on the clock for probably under a minute. The shift was scheduled as eight hours (12-8).

I know they're not going to pay me anything apart from that one minute I was on the clock (which at eight dollars an hour is nothing). What pay am I entitled to in this situation?

Thank you very much!

Mouri

Here is a link to the reporting time pay law in Ca.

http://www.dir.ca.gov:80/dlse/FAQ_ReportingTimePay.htm

Each workday an employee is required to report to work, but is not put to work or is furnished with less than half of his or her usual or scheduled day's work, the employee must be paid for half the usual or scheduled day's work, but in no event for less than two hours nor more than four hours, at his or her regular rate of pay.

You might want to read the complete link.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It looks like I'm entitled to four hours worth of pay! Thanks!

I just remembered another concern of mine. Last week, my employer called me thirty minutes before my shift started and canceled my shift. Is this perfectly fine?

Comment

You don't have to be paid any compensation for the canceled shift since you didn't show up at work.

Yes, you are due wages. (4 hrs.) If your employer doesn't/won't pay you, you can file a claim with the Ca DLSE.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If I physically showed up for work, but did not swipe my time card, and was sent home, would I still be entitled to the pay for half the shift? (this is my last question, don't worry!).

Thanks a million!
          Last edited by Mouri; 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

If you reported to work/showed up at work but were then sent home, you would have to be paid reporting time pay.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X