X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be paid for being On Call? California

Hello everyone,

I work at (name of employer deleted) in California and am scheduled as on call once to twice, weekly. Generally they do not tell me to come in but they do some of the time. The on call shift generally is 6 PM- 12 AM, I work part-time, at minimum wage.

There are roughly 40 employees who work at the same place as me and we've never been paid for being on call. However, I've heard people say we're supposed to be paid for one hour of work, others say two hours of work, and managers say you have to be on call and call in so you don't get fired.

I'd really appreciate some clarification from people who actually know the law, which is why I joined this forum.

Thanks!
    Last edited by cbg; 04-10-2010, 07:40 PM.

Based on your post, it sounds like you do not need to be paid for being on call. Here is the law:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/title_...9CFR785.17.htm

29 CFR 785.17 - On-call time.

Section Number: 785.17
    Section Name: On-call time.

An employee who is required to remain on call on the employer's
    premises or so close thereto that he cannot use the time effectively for
    his own purposes is working while ``on call''. An employee who is not
    required to remain on the employer's premises but is merely required to
    leave word at his home or with company officials where he may be reached
    is not working while on call. (Armour & Co. v. Wantock, 323 U.S. 126
    (1944); Handler v. Thrasher, 191 F. 2d 120 (C.A. 10, 1951); Walling v.
    Bank of Waynesboro, Georgia, 61 F. Supp. 384 (S.D. Ga. 1945))

If you just have to answer your cell phone (or call in to see if there is work) but can otherwise go about your regular activities, you do not have to be paid.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

It's too bad that I don't get to try and collect money that I'm owed, but you answered my long-time question.

Thank you very much!

Comment

You're welcome but what money are you talking about that you are owed?
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If you are actually called in to work, you have to be paid for that time. You are not "owed" any time for simply being on call if you are not working.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I'm sorry, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I had been thinking that money for being on call was owed to me until I saw the posts.

Comment

Oh ok, you were just hoping money was owed you - sorry, not in this case.

Comment

It might benefit the poster to look at DLSE opinion letter 1993.03.31 to see how California looks at the on call issue.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/OpinionLetters-bySubject.htm

There are 4 factors that effect whether or not the employer must pay for on call time. They are: 1. Geographical restrictions 2. Required response time 3. The nature of the employment 4. The extent the employer's policy would impact on personal activities during on call time.

I am required to be available for overnight on call hours and because the nature of my work meets the above criteria I am paid for those hours whether or not I am called.

Comment

now however

at my company ff you are on call and your employer calls you to fix something or to assist with fixing something you are paid for that time... if it is deemed necessary to come in you are paid for the time you spent on the call travel time to... even if there is 4 hours of traffic... the time there performing the work and the time it takes to get home....

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X