This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Termination Q, employee agreement California

I signed an Employee Agreement that states If I leave the Company within one year, I will reimburse the Company for education classes taken, that the company paid for upon termination. I am salaried, and was terminated, the Company deducted the cost of classes out of my final check, is this legal?

You would need to take the agreement that you signed to a local attorney for review to determine whether it gave the company the ability to deduct the costs of the classes from your last paycheck. Such an agreement is not at all unusual and not inherently illegal.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't count on this being a legal deduction. California law is much stricter on this issue than any other state.
      http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Deductions.htm

It's likely that clause of the agreement is unenforceable, but I agree that a review of it by an attorney versed in California employment law (not just any attorney-this is a specialty) would be to your advantage.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Our policy is to request a check from the employee for reimbursment, as our lawyer instructed us to not do a final check deduction. The policy for us doesn't change whether the employee is hourly or salary.

Comment

I would love to know the outcome of this matter. I am witholding my thoughts as I am not an attorney and that is definitely who needs to answer this question.
          Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Originally posted by hr student View Post
            Our policy is to request a check from the employee for reimbursment, as our lawyer instructed us to not do a final check deduction. The policy for us doesn't change whether the employee is hourly or salary.
            That's fine, however if the employee refuses to comply with the agreement, you would have to bring a civil action, IMHO.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by hr student View Post
              This would be the correct method of handling this situation in California. An employer may not withhold earned wages for any reason. Doing so subjects the employer to waiting time penalties for failure to pay all wages due at termination.

Yes Patty, the employer would then have to bring a civil action to recover under the employment agreement.
              J.E.B. Pickett
              Wynne Law Firm
              California Wage & Hour Class Action Attorneys.
              877-352-6400
              www.wynnelawfirm.com

Disclaimer: This response and any materials or content provided by this response are for general informational purposes only and should not be relied on or considered as legal advice. Under no circumstances does this informational response, directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X