This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Auto Glass Installer - Piece Rate Pay? California

Please Help! I am a mobile auto glass installer in California.

Basically, I drive a company van to each jobsite (customer's residence, work, etc.) and replace or repair windshields, door glasses, back glasses, etc.
    I supply about 90% of my own tools to do my job. I believe my job classification falls under Wage Order 4 but I am not sure.

I was being paid $14 per hour until November 2009 when I was notified my pay rate was being changed from hourly to a piece rate completion pay schedule with a base hourly minmum of $9/hour for days when there are very few jobs scheduled (8 hour day with 1 or 2 jobs for example; still get $72.00). It states that a Job is for each full window installation completed. The piece rate is $27.50 per job for windshield replacement and $15.00 per job for windshield repair (rock chip repair).

The piece completion pay schedule also states that if there is a callback (leaks, wind noise,etc.) for any reason it causes job pay to be deducted by half. 2nd callback results in another half of job pay to be deducted. Is that even Legal?? I thought once the piece rate was completed, the employer could require you to "redo" the work if the job was not satisfactory and not pay the piece rate pay again, but must pay at least the minimum wage ($9/hr base pay per this employer's pay scale) for the time worked.

He has also sent me out to "redo" jobs that were originally completed by other installers. Shouldn't I be paid the piece rate pay for the job since it is a new job for me?

Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I have spent countless hours trying to research CA Labor Law and have discovered several laws which my employer is breaking. I have only lived in CA for a couple of years and have never been paid on a piece rate pay schedule. I also do not know of any other auto glass companies that are paying their employees this way.

Thank You Very Much For Any And All Help With This!

This is a duplicate duplicate post.

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=255819
    Last edited by CatBert; 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM. Reason: http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=255819
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X