Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demoted to another lower pay salaried position.. Can they do this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demoted to another lower pay salaried position.. Can they do this?

Is it legal to demote a salaried manager (in CA) to sales rep and lower their salary and commission? The reason is that they don't really need the manager anymore and could use a sales rep in the territory. Can employer do this?

Unless the manager has an employment contract guaranteeing his/her title and salary, there is no law that prohibits such a demotion. All the law says is that a pay cut cannot be made on hours already worked and cannot drop an employee below minimum wage.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Marketeer View Post
      and cannot drop an employee below minimum wage.
      And even that can be done if the job meets the criteria for an outside salesperson.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

In all 50 states.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

What about the District of Columbia?
          "The most patriotic people in America are the working class" - Cecil Roberts - President UMWA

Comment

Hello. Washington, DC is subject to the FLSA.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Hello! to you too
              "The most patriotic people in America are the working class" - Cecil Roberts - President UMWA

Comment

When the responders say "all 50 states", they are automatically including DC and the U.S. territories and other other possible political jurisdiction which is subject to the FLSA.

Now, you don't have to ask such a question ever again.

Comment

Perhaps you haven't realized it yet but that was not a serious question.... But here is one: what does "in all 50 states" have to do with anything in this topic? Perhaps you can answer that since you seem to be able to speak for everyone and the implied meanings behind their statements.

Comment

Originally posted by mcarson87 View Post
                    Perhaps you haven't realized it yet but that was not a serious question.... But here is one: what does "in all 50 states" have to do with anything in this topic? Perhaps you can answer that since you seem to be able to speak for everyone and the implied meanings behind their statements.
                    I did understand that it was a sarcastic question. I was trying to be polite. Obviously that didn't work.

What it "has to do with" this post is that responders often read other posts before asking their questions. This way, the original poster knows that the statement is the same everywhere (so they don't think they would get a better break in another state) AND we don't get additional posts on the thread saying "what about Wyoming?" and "what about Florida?" Get it now?

I have been posting on this forum for several years and you know what? I DO know the intent and meaning behind MANY of the comments of MANY of the regular responders, because I've seen the same response HUNDREDS of times.

You get THAT now?
                    Last edited by Pattymd; 09-02-2009, 04:38 AM.

Comment

cbg & Patty (& many other responders) have been posting for several years on this forum & have a reason why we post what we do. The other "regular" responders understand the reason & the post. You have been posting on this forum since last month.**

add-** unless you had posted under another name & are trying to keep that name a secret from everyone
                      Last edited by Betty3; 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM. Reason: add info
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Who cares how long I've been posting here? Is this your only accomplishment in your life? Years of membership on an internet forum?

Comment

also...

Originally posted by pattymd
                          I was trying to be polite. Obviously that didn't work.
                          Now, you don't have to ask such a question ever again.
                          Was that the polite part?

Comment

Yes. You want the impolite response?

Comment

Cool it, everyone.
                              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X