Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Temporary "at will" salary employee California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Temporary "at will" salary employee California

    I signed a 60 day at will, temporary, salary contract. It has been over 90 days and my contract has not been revised. I am not entitled to sick days, vacation days, holiday pay, health insurance, or overtime. I was hired by the company I am working for, not and outside agency. Are there any laws in California that prohibit this from happening?... if not, why would companies hire employees other than temporary employees. I am working 45 plus hours a week without any benefits or overtime. Also, since I am a temporary employee, would I be entitled to unemployment should this company let me go? I was collecting unemployment from my last company before signing a contract with this company. If I quit this job, would I still be collecting unemployment based on my last company? Any advice or better understanding is greatly appreciated.


  • #2
    If the contract doesn't require the company to either convert you to "permanent" or let you go, then there is wage and hour law that will force them to do so. i.e., there is no law that says "once you are on temporary status for XX days, you must convert to regular status".

    If you are let go from this gig, you can reopen/reactivate your UI claim or, depending on the base year, file a new one. However, if you quit, don't count on UI benefits.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.