This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limits on part-time work while receiving unemployment California

My question pertains to unemployment in California.

I am currently receiving $450 per week on unemployment and have about 11 weeks left on my second extension.

I may have the opportunity to work part-time on a temporary project for 2 months. I would be working 24 hours a week at $15 per hour so I would be earning about $360 per week.

I know that for every week I work, I would be able to continue to collect a partial amount of unemployment and the fact that I would only be taking a partial weekly benefit will actually extend my claim for a few weeks.

My question is what is the definition of part-time for these purposes? Is it anything under 40 hours per week or is it something more like 20 hours per week? I don't want to do anything that would threaten my claim as I am not confident that I will be able to find another job after this temp project is over. I have searched the EDD website to no avail and as anyone who has tried to contact EDD over these last several months knows, it's impossible to get through on the phones.

Hello there,

I'm in a very similar situation as you...I currently get 450 a week on UI and have been offered a job which is 30 hours a week for 17 dollars an hour. Is that still considered to be part time?????????

Comment

oilersbaby, I assume your state is Ca. since you posted in the Ca. labor law forum.

However, please start your own new thread. You added your question to another poster's thread. Thanks.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Im sorry about that but I was just saying that I had the same question as him. And yes, also in California and I have the exact same question as the original poster.

Comment

Duplicate post. Answered here: http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=205848
          I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

oilersbaby, if your question was not answered to your satisfaction in the link (thread) above, then please start your own new thread. Thanks.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

oilersbaby has now started her own new thread.

Comment

did the question ever get answered?
                Walter

www.Californialaborlaw.info
                "California Wage and Hour Class Action Attorneys"

Disclaimer: The above correspondence does not constitute legal advice nor establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the advice of independent legal counsel before relying upon, acting upon or not acting upon any information contained in this correspondence.

Comment

This is her new thread: http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=212464 (1 answer at this time)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X