This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WORK FROM HOME? California

There are a handful of employees that are set up to work from home full time and part time at the company I work for.
    I had asked if I could work from home part of the time because my duties only involve working from the computer.
    I was told that the Company no longer allows this option however I have learned that there are still people working from home so that statement is false.
    Does anyone know what my rights are here or is it a lost cause?

You do not have the right to work from home. Perhaps the other employees were "grandfathered in" under the new policy. In any case, if the employer chooses not to allow it, they are within their rights to do so.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I figured as much but wasn't sure if anyone else had any words of wisdom on this..I guess it throws me off that they stated it wasn't allowed but they allow it? I guess it's their right to make exceptions?
      Thanks for the info...
      Last edited by Nellie123; 10-14-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nellie123;1000090]I figured as much but wasn't sure if anyone else had any words of wisdom on this..I guess it throws me off that they stated it wasn't allowed but they allow it? I guess it's their right to make exceptions?
        QUOTE]

It is, unless the exception is based SOLELY on a protected characteristic, such as race, gender, religion, etc.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I would/will never know if it was based SOLELY on race, gender, or religion .. I can only assume but that isn't enough..thanks again.

Comment

You'd have to see if a prima facie case could be established.

For example, if only men are allowed to work at home, but never women, it's not impossible that illegal discrimination has occurred. However, once ONE woman is allowed to, then the case gets weaker. Also, there may be a number of factors that are not obvious, including, as I stated before, some previous agreement.

Comment

work at home

my question is if a non-profits org. funded with taxpayer's money, can it be legal to put anyone on its payroll without coming to work and claim work at home? Should it call fraud?

Comment

lawtalk, please start your own thread. Your question is not related.

Comment

No-it is not a non profit org. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I think, Nellie, that lawtalk was actually trying to hijack your thread.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X